The new IoT technological frontier
In the context of distributed and decentralized IT architectures, the edge computing is the new approach, capable of reducing the amount of data to be sent to the cloud, of processing critical data, by transmitting information to a smart device located nearby. The less ‘time-sensitive’ data can instead be transmitted to the cloud infrastructure or to the data center, to allow more complex processing, such as the analysis of big data through Artificial Intelligence and the use of machine learning algorithms to refine learning.
To meet these new needs and data management methods, Tera has created the BeetaTM Box, GIoE and BeetaTM MoCo Edge Computers. They enable professional IoT solutions and services suitable for many application areas such as energy measurement, building/plant management, static monitoring of infrastructure, Industry 4.0, e-mobility and much more.
It’s becoming ever more important, in many application sectors, for companies and individuals:
- to have an alternative or a redundancy rather than Cloud for data processing and use in near real time, in a robust, safe and reliable way;
- to collect field data from different sensors, with different brand and model (more than 80 devices already tested).
Tera edge compuers communicate with third party software and hardware ensuring maximum flexibility.
GIoE has more than 10 communication protocols on board and can perform all kinds of algorithms thanks to its computational capabilities.
Some key features:
- 1 GHz ARM Cortex A7 dual core processor, , 1 (up to 2) GB RAM, 8 GB flash memory (soldered) expandable via 2 SD cards of max 128 GB, one that can be inserted from the outside and one from the inside;
- integrated IoT wireless modules (WiFi, Bluetooth, NB-IoT or alternatively 2G / 3G / 4G – with or without GPS, w-Mbus 169 MHz or, alternatively, w-Mbus 868 MHz);2 RS485 ports (eg Modbus, BACnet, SUnSPec) – master or, optionally, slave with software interface development, CANbus, Ethernet and GBit Ethernet;
- 2 RS485 ports (eg Modbus, BACnet, SUnSPec) – master or, optionally, slave with software interface development, CANbus, 1 Fast-Ethernet port and 1 GBit Ethernet port;
- 1x HDMI and 4x USB to easily expand the GIoE control unit including “dongle” modules such as Zwave, KNX, EnOcean and others;
- I/O (digital and analog) to retrive data directly from sensors (e.g. dry contact, S0, Thermocouples), or to drive external loads (Dry Contact, internal Open Collector, to control relay modules); optional TPM security module;
- push buttons, also programmable, signal LEDs;
- plastic case 9M DIN-RAIL format, external power supply 9 ÷ 24 Vdc.
Designed for indoor applications, Beeta BOX is equipped with 4 sensors on board (temperature, humidity, air pressure, microphone), and an acoustic-luminous interface (speakers and circular, programmable, multicolour led) able to interact with users and to interact with the user and signal any anomalies.
Some key features:
- 1 GHz ARM Cortex A7 dual core processor, 1 (up to 2) GB of RAM, 8 GB flash memory (soldered) expandable via 2 SD cards of max 128 GB, one that can be inserted from the outside and one from the inside;
- integrated IoT wireless modules (WiFi, Bluetooth, ZigBee, Z-Wave, NB-IoT or LoRaWAN 868MHz, w-MBus 169 MHz)
- 2 RS485 ports (eg Modbus, BACnet, SUnSPec) – master or, optionally, slave with software interface development; GBit Ethernet.
- 3 USB ports for easy expansion with “dongle” modules such as GPRS/ G, EnOcean and others.
- digital I/O to detect data directly from sensors (eg dry contact, S0), or to drive external loads (1 x Open Collector and 1 x Dry Contact); optional TPM security module;
- push botton, also programmable;
- plastic case, external 5 Vdc power supply, internal battery.
Beeta MoCo is part to the broad category of “Smart Grids Controller” devices; Beeta™ MoCo, actually being a small-scale edge computer, indicated for the Smart Grids’ working, such as Demand Response, BESS-Battery Energy Storage Systems, Modulation Control. Beeta MoCo monitors and controls bi-directional energy flows of battery storage inverters and other equipment and electrical loads, which can also be used in retrofit. The device can also be used in combination with third-party software platforms, both local and cloud-based, for the implementation of integrated systems for managing electricity flows in smart grids and energy communities.
Some key features:
- ARM Cortex A7 single core @650 MHz processor; optional dual core @800 MHz; optional encryption (AES, DES/TDES – 128, 192 or 256 bit) coprocessor (internal module);
- Linux Embedded, OTA upgradable, OC output for external relays;
- Up to 512 MB RAM, 4 GB (up to 32) Flash Memory, one WiFi module for wireless communications and wired Ethernet and RS485 connectivity;
- 1 push button (Power On/Off), 1 cold reset button;
- 2 LEDs for programmable events, 2 status LED: power state, LAN/Internet;
- I/O: 2x Open Collector (max 80 Vdc and 80 mA) 3,75 kVrms optical isolation, PWM capable (up to 30 kHz);
- plastic case, external power 5 Vdc.
BeetaTM Box e GIoE : the best solution for System Integrators, Designers, OEMs.
Tera open approach
The edge computers we design and produce for IoT ecosystems are multi-protocol and based on the LINUX Embedded platform. The use of standardized communication protocols and interfaces allow full configurability, modularity and scalability.
BeetaTM Box e GIoE are compatible with various free-of-charge open source software tools, such as the OSGI OpnenHab “FRAMEWORK” and the MQTT, REST / API, NODE-RED, HomeAssistant, OPC-UA, as well as the FIN FRAMEWORK by J2Innovation (a Siemens company) and IBM EDGE solutions, suitable for interoperable applications connecting the field to the cloud in different IoT application sectors.
Different options for every need:
Open Plug & Play solutions: the agreement with J2 Innovation Inc
Tera ensures full compatibility with SW, development environments and open source frameworks, both free and paid, such as the innovative FIN Framework platform develped by J2 Innovation Inc.
Made in Italy safety for OEM & System Integrators
Stakeholders recognise Tera as one of the best emerging technology providers in the field of edge processing and IoT interoperable sensor ecosystems: our approach is fully aligned to the IoT paradigm, with modular and scalable solutions and interoperable software and hardware components, adapting to different application fields such as energy measurement and management, building / plant management, Industry 4.0 and e-mobility.
With this approach we build innovative ecosystems for both system integrators and OEMs: it’s possible to use our edge computers with open source OSs, open source or proprietary tools and frameworks, custom software and drivers.
Tera products are totally designed and manufactured in Italy and committed to a high quality international production scenario, compliant with ISO-9001, ISO 14001, IATF-16949 and IPC Membership.